(Deadline to apply: Until filled)
Saint Vincent College seeks applications for Powerhouse Fireman in Facilities Maintenance Office. This is a full-time position. This position will perform steam plant duties to include maintenance of 2 tri-fired boilers including all water pumping equipment, blowers, coal feeding systems and exhaust systems, main steam line and condensate return systems. Must be able to work with a diverse group of dept heads such as Archabbot, Prior, faculty dept heads, students, tradesmen, outside contractors and vendors, and custodians.
Education: High School Diploma or GED
Must maintain a yearly Tri-Boiler operator’s license.
Must be able to read and follow written instructions.
General knowledge of plumbing and boiler system with 3-5 years of hands on experience.
1. Under direct supervision of the Powerhouse supervisor perform maintenance of all boiler plant operations and repair replacement.
2. Perform boiler plant shutdown.
3. Perform maintenance of all trap repairs and replacement.
4. Fire plant boilers 8 months a year with task that include, ash removal, boiler regulating during operations, blow downs and clean outs, minor repairs during shifts, filing out coal charts, and daily maintenance of operations.
5. Cust grass in the summertime.
6. Weed and mulch flower beds dur spring and summer.
7. Help with office moves.
8. Work with P.M. Tech and plumber for repairs on main steam line.
9. Help P.M. Tech with HVAC repairs and replacements.
10. Work with the ability to establish priorities of work to be performed and proceed with the work independently without supervision.
11. Trouble shoot boiler operations.
12. Perform duties from written work orders.
13. Work with a contractor’s on-site job supervisor to complete remodels or new builds.
1. Required to assist in other assignments such as grounds maintenance.
2. Working with P.M. Tech to replace belts, motors, and cleaning condensate coils on HVAC systems.
3. Occasional interaction with students, faculty, department heads, vice presidents, department directors, and alike.
4. Wetlands maintenance performed by re-plumbing, cut trees, mulching, filling muskrat holes and other items requested by the Director of the Wetlands.
5. Garbage removal during Steeler camp.
6. Operate power equipment related to trade and grounds work such as saws, drills, high-pressure steam boilers, high horsepower motors, mowers and grounds hand tools.
Special challenges and environment:
Must understand and direct how to follow safety precautions and procedures both verbal and written.
May occasionally need to lift and/or manipulate heavy objects.
Working in Mechanical rooms with high voltage and high-pressure steam.
Coordinating efforts between custodial and construction staffing in house and out of house.
Operate power equipment related to trade work such as saws, drills, high-pressure steam boilers, high horsepower motors, mowers, various blowers and vacuums.
Work involves moderate to high exposure to unusual elements of dirt, biohazards, dust, temperature, fumes, and/or noise.
Working in high locations.
Maintaining old equipment.
Work involves considerable physical activity including lifting, pulling, or pushing objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
Environment does involve exposure to hazards, such as chemicals, and physical risks that are mitigated by and require following safety rules and precautions and using MSDS product sheets.
Must be able to adjust to continual changes while planning and finishing jobs.
All positions require the incumbent to be able to fully embrace the unique mission and identity of the College as a Catholic, Benedictine liberal arts and sciences institution. Saint Vincent College is committed to diversity and encourages applicants from all qualified candidates. Saint Vincent College is committed to building a diversified and competent population of faculty and staff, and encourages applications from women and minorities. Saint Vincent is an equal opportunity employer.
PLEASE NOTE: Background checks will be performed on all new faculty, staff and adjunct positions. Employment is conditional upon satisfactory background checks and clearances.
Please submit cover letter, resume and three references to either:
Director, Office of Human Resources OR electronically to:
Saint Vincent College firstname.lastname@example.org
300 Fraser Purchase Road
Latrobe, PA 15650